Hearty, savory meatballs are a favorite of carnivores everywhere, but for vegetarians who are missing out, there is a tasty alternative, without the meat! For a light yet scrumptious meal, mini chickpea sesame meatballs are a simple resolution.
Chickpeas are a great source of fiber and important fatty acids that help lower cholesterol. They are also rich in folic acids (Vitamin B12), and proteins, which contribute to a healthy heart. Among the most well-known chickpea meatballs are the Middle Eastern falafel, but did you know that adding sesame seeds can liven up these delicious morsels, making them appeal to both meatlovers and vegetarians?
They are also a great way to get children to eat healthy when they refuse to eat veggies!
Vegetarian chickpea sesame meatballs recipe
Here is what you will need and the preparation method:
- 1 cup of cooked chickpeas
- 1 boiled potato
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 1 lemon peel
- bread crumbs blended with 3 spoonfuls of sesame seeds
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
SEE ALSO: 10 healthy alternatives to french fries
- In a mixer, blend the chickpeas, almonds, and garlic, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Mash the potato separately, and combine ingredients to make a soft and compact dough.
- Grate some some lemon peel and mix into dough to add flavor and aroma. Shape dough into small spheres of around 3 cm each.
- Roll the mini meatballs in the bread crumb mix. Put a generous amount of olive oil in a pan and fry. Alternatively, bake in the oven at 180ºC for around 20 minutes, rotating them halfway through the cooking process.
Accompanied by a flavorful vegetarian side dish such as sweet potato fries, and your favorite dipping sauce, chickpea sesame meatballs are perfect for a light meal, snack, or unique finger food to serve guests at your next party.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: