Although to many it might seem like an oxymoron, the roast can be a major advantage for those who have chosen a cruelty-free style in the kitchen, of course it is a roast free of beef which we propose trying. Here’s the vegan roast beef recipe!
A cruelty-free cuisine classic, maybe to cook for Sunday lunch with potatoes, even for those who are not vegan.
For this vegan recipe you need gluten flour, which is a wheat gluten powder obtained from wheat flour rinsed under water to remove the starch and increase the gluten concentration. This method is used to strengthen the gram flour that has little to none gluten.
Vegan roast beef recipe: ingredients & preparation
The ingredients needed for the vegan roast are listed for 4 portions.
For the gluten flour dough you will need:
- 150 grams of gluten flour
- 100 grams of gram flour
- 2 tablespoons of tamari (similar to soy sauce)
- 200 ml of boiling water (at least 90°C)
For the filling:
- 100 grams of tofu
- 5 dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of capers
- Salvia, thyme and rosemary
- 1 tablespoon of olive paste
- A garlic clove
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- (optional) onion
For the sauce:
- 6 cm of kombu seaweed
- 2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce
EXPLORE: A vegan omelette without eggs
- Begin preparing the gluten dough by mixing it in a bowl with gram flour and add tamari sauce with a pinch of salt; slowly pour in the boiling water until the dough is smooth and non-sticky.
- Make a ball and roll it into a 1-2 centimeter (half an inch to an inch) layer.
- Afterwards prepare the filling by mixing the tofu with dried tomatoes in a blender, add some salvia, rosemary, thyme, the capers, olive paste, and garlic. Season with pepper and blend it all together.
- Pour the mixture on the dough and roll it tightly in a cloth like a sausage.
Proceed dipping the “sausage” in boiling water with a vegetable stock cube in it, kombu seaweed and soy sauce. Let it cook for 40 to 50 minutes. You can then prepare some potatoes for the dish in the oven or brown them in a pan.
A slice of vegetarian roast beef can taste really good, you will see!