Do you know how to clean the refrigerator naturally, limiting the use of chemicals? Here are all our tips and tricks that can help you extend the life of your fridge and save money in the process.
- 1 A refrigerator without bacteria and odor
- 2 Advice on cleaning frequency
- 3 How to clean the refrigerator naturally?
- 4 Recommended natural remedies
- 5 How to clean the outside of the refrigerator
- 6 More on this topic
A refrigerator without bacteria and odor
The fridge is mainly used to store food at a low temperature. The cold reduces the activity of the bacteria which are responsible for the deterioration of the food itself.
But a refrigerator is truly effective and healthy for food only if it is properly maintained. Just because your refrigerator cools your food doesn’t mean it’s necessarily healthy.
Advice on cleaning frequency
To prevent your fridge from becoming a real nest of germs and bacteria, you must first of all pay attention to its contents and how it works.
Also to reduce the need for frequent cleaning, it is advisable to follow some rules for correct use of the refrigerator:
- Check the condition of the food: rotting vegetables could contaminate other products
- Never place hot products in the refrigerator: this increases the internal temperature of the appliance and, in addition to requiring greater energy consumption, allows some bacteria to work peacefully before the refrigerator returns to an adequate temperature.
- Don’t leave the refrigerator door open for too long
- Carefully package meats that must not come into contact with other food products.
On average, cleaning the refrigerator every two weeks is however the ideal frequency to avoid the development of microorganisms or bacteria.
How to clean the refrigerator naturally?
Respect for the environment is also reflected in our daily choices of household cleaning products, whether we are fully aware of it or not. That’s why learning how to naturally clean your refrigerator without relying on commercial chemical cleaners can serve as an eco-friendly and effective method for maintaining this appliance.
Recommended natural remedies
To clean the fridge in a natural way you can count on non-polluting products that are completely compatible with the environment.
Among the most useful natural remedies, for example, a valid ally for cleaning (not just the refrigerator) is baking soda, which can be used either dissolved in water (two tablespoons of bicarbonate in half a liter of water) as a liquid detergent, both in solid form as a paste, to eliminate the most persistent dirt.
How to do it?
- Always remember to empty the fridge and unplug it for safety reasons, before starting this operation.
- Take out all removable components like shelves, drawers, and crispers: this will make it easier to clean both the interior and these parts effectively.
- Use your liquid solution to thoroughly clean the refrigerator. After cleaning, rinse the interior surfaces with a clean, damp cloth to remove any residues. Finally, dry everything with a towel or paper towels to prevent moisture from lingering.
You can also eliminate bad odors by placing baking soda in a small container directly inside the fridge. Baking soda is known for its odor-absorbing properties, but it should be replaced every month.
White vinegar is also an ideal ingredient for disinfecting the fridge and driving away bad smells.
Thanks to its antibacterial and degreasing properties, vinegar is in fact a perfect product for cleaning the refrigerator. You can use a cloth soaked in vinegar to clean the various compartments and removable drawers and finally dry the entire fridge.
Moreover, taking out the removable parts of the refrigerator allows for soaking them in a water and vinegar solution to ensure a more thorough cleaning.
Lemon and coffee grounds
For more persistent odors, the effectiveness of lemon can also help: you can leave a thick enough slice of lemon in the fridge to replace at least once a week.
For the same reason, coffee grounds can also be very useful, as they are able to absorb odors.
More alternative methods
Alternatively, a peeled potato placed inside the fridge can also work well as an odor-absorbing food. Even one or more cork stoppers will have the same effect.
You will eliminate bad odors and allow the refrigerator to function properly.
How to clean the outside of the refrigerator
Now let’s see what are the best natural methods for cleaning the external parts of your refrigerator.
The antistatic cloth
The dry antistatic cloth can be used for cleaning the outside of the refrigerator in order to easily collect dust, also eliminating it from the back (near the coil) where it tends to accumulate; it will thus be possible to guarantee better efficiency and reduce energy consumption.
Last, to clean the surfaces of your refrigerator, use a microfiber cloth or sponge with warm, soapy water and add baking soda for the most stubborn dirt.
If your refrigerator has stainless steel exteriors, use a stainless steel cleaner.
Here are also other useful guides on the correct and efficient use of the refrigerator:
- The fridge of the desert: how to preserve food without electricity
- 8 tips to freeze food efficiently
- How to properly store fruit and vegetables in your fridge
And finally other practical tips for cleaning other items in the house
- How to get rid of bad smell in your washing machine
- How to remove lipstick stains with natural methods
- How to clean your washing machine naturally
- How to clean carpets naturally and effectively
- How to clean uPVC windows
- How to clean gold jewelry
- How to clean your coffee machine efficiently
- How to clean your bathroom ecologically and without toxic substances
- How to clean the electric kettle
- Odor removal: how to remove odor from shoes effectively
- How to clean the induction hob and protect it over time
Thanks to these simple tips and our guide to cleaning your home in a natural way and without chemicals, you can keep your appliances efficient and clean your home without spending a fortune and damaging the environment.