A tasty homemade Nutella recipe: discover how to prepare it without using controversial products such as palm oil.
Even Nutella can be adapted to a healty diet by following our recipe which is less fatty and contains natural ingredients which don’t share the same unethical and environmental implications of products such as palm oil.
Here is a recipe for organic Nutella made with hazelnuts and chocolate, please give it a try and let us know about your experience in the comments below.
Homemade Nutella recipe: ingredients
Here is what you need to prepare it:
- 50 grams of peeled organic hazelnuts
- 100 grams of milk chocolate
- 95 grams of demerara sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice oil
- 1/2 cup soy milk
Homemade Nutella recipe: preparation
Toast the nuts in the oven at 170 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. Put them in a blender with the sugar and chocolate. Mix at maximum speed until the mixture is homogeneous and very fine.
Cook the mixture in a water bath for about 10 minutes over low heat, pouring the rice oil and soy milk slowly into the mixture while stirring. Continue to stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
You should get a thick and homogeneous dough ready to be refrigerated.
A delicious variant of homemade Nutella
This version is even healthier and also allows you to customize the taste to your liking. Keep in mind that the texture and flavor may vary from commercial Nutella, but this version still does a great job of satisfying the craving for a chocolate spread.
- 200 g of toasted hazelnuts
- 200 g of dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
- 2-3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Milk (optional, to adjust consistency)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and spread the hazelnuts on a baking tray. Toast the hazelnuts in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until aromatic. Be sure to stir them occasionally to prevent them from burning. Place the toasted hazelnuts in a clean tea towel and rub it to remove the skin (don’t worry if a few bits of skin remain attached).
- Melt the dark chocolate in a bain-marie or in the microwave. Mix until you get a smooth consistency.
- In a powerful food processor, grind the peeled hazelnuts until creamy. This process may take a few minutes and you will need to scrape the sides of the food processor occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients, melted chocolate, sugar, vanilla extract and hazelnut salt. Continue blending until you obtain a smooth cream. Taste and adjust sugar if necessary.
- Finally, adjust the consistency: if the cream is too thick, you can add a little milk, one or two spoons at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.
Of course, these above are recipes that can be customized in various ways. We really like these three variations:
- White Nutella: to make it, use white chocolate instead of dark chocolate. You will get a “white” version of Nutella (a bit like the white part of Ciaocrem that some will remember from childhood).
- Nutella with hazelnuts and cocoa: a slightly more intense version, where chocolate reigns supreme. You just need to add 2-3 tablespoons of cocoa powder to obtain a cream with a more intense chocolate flavour.
- Cinnamon Nutella: a more aromatic and exotic version of this cream. Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon and you will get an extra aromatic note.
How to preserve your homemade Nutella
It is necessary to keep your homemade Nutella in a properly sterilized glass jar in the refrigerator, once it has cooled.
It can be kept for a few weeks, which is not a little, considering that you are not using a single one of the preservatives that the industrial version of this cream contains.
Enjoy this palm-oil free “Nutella” as much as possible, because it’s not bad for you.
More recipes you should try
Not enough? More recipes for you!
- Coconut cake easy recipe
- Delicious recipes using sesame oil
- Velvet Mushroom Soup
- Vegetarian Chikpea Sesame Meatballs